- Funding for the Backpack Buddies program that fights childhood hunger in the East Cooper area
- Scholarships to local high school students going to college as well as for students attending Trident Tech.
- Free new shoes and socks to local children through Happy Feet
- Dictionaries for all local 3rd grade students through our Dictionary Project
- Support for local charities: Meals on Wheels, ECCO, One80Place (Crisis Ministry), ITN Charleston, LAPS, Maia Moms, Charleston ProBono, Boy Scouts, Coastal Crisis Chaplaincy and other organizations that are serving our community
- Support through Rotary International’s multimillion-dollar efforts to eradicate polio and fund Alzheimer’s research
Welcoming new members into the club is always a pleasure. The Rotary Club of Mount Pleasant recently welcomed two new members, Everett Jones and Andrew Robertson. In the short time that they have been members, they are already proving that they will be an involved and dedicated part of our club. Welcome Everett and Andrew.
Supporting the Rotary Foundation is important to The Rotary Club of Mount Pleasant. We want to be a part of Rotary’s mission to “advance world understanding, goodwill, and peace through the improvement of health, the support of education and the alleviation of poverty.” The Foundation not only supports these goals globally, but locally as well with the awarding of grants for worthy projects here in our area. Our club has a strong tradition of giving to the Foundation. In the past couple of months, we have had the pleasure of awarding 16 Paul Harris Fellow awards which have been previously reported in the District newsletters. Our latest recipient, Mary Lindsay, was awarded her second Paul Harris award by Past District Governor and District Foundation Chair Lou Mello. Congratulations to Mary!
The Rotary Club of Mount Pleasant will once again be hosting their annual Soccer Classic. This will the 31st year that the Classic has played, allowing high school teams from around the tri-county area to get together before their season starts. This is an all day event with food, fun, games and fellowship. We hope that you will join us and support our Classic. The money raised from the Classic supports many of our charitable endeavors throughout the year – including our Back Pack Buddy program.
In conjunction with the Soccer Classic and happening the night before, the Rotary Club of Mount Pleasant will hold its 3rd annual Silent Auction. There will be many great items ready for your bid. In addition, there will be food/drink and of course fun and fellowship. Join us.
The Rotary Club of Mt. Pleasant recently inducted two new members: Colin Moynahan and Andrea Ulmer. Welcome to the new members of our Rotary family.
District Foundation Chair Lou Mello recently presented pins our club’s Paul Harris Fellows. In addition, Clinton Dunn became a member of the Paul Harris Society
As part of our commitment to Polio Plus and support of October as Polio Plus month, Rotary Club of Mount Pleasant has taken part in a couple of fund raising activities. Several of our members accepted an Ice Bucket Challenge in support of polio plus and our membership enjoyed the videos of fellow members getting doused. In addition, Polio Plus Chairperson Beth Sherr organized a “This Close” event in which members donated money to Polio Plus in return for getting their “This Close” picture made.